Sunday, May 10, 2009

Week of May 11, 2009

Upper School students celebrating the end of the last day of classes. (I guess they're not thinking about final exams, yet!)
Rob's Climbing Wall class is making charcoal. You can see the climbing wall behind them in the distance.



















Susan's Literature of War class educated our students about the realities of life for women in Afghanistan. Above, you can see Emma wearing a sign and a close-up of that sign. A number of Susan's students wore signs, each with a different sobering story.
At the very bottom (I think!) is a shot of our medical moms (Becky, Jane, and Elley) preparing TB tests for the freshmen and staff members who are preparing to leave for Newton Grove. Jane and Elley returned later in the week to read the test results. We so appreciate these moms helping to make the TB test process easier for our staff and students.
HEADING FOR TRINIDAD
I am very excited to be a part of the End of Year trip to Trinidad this year. I will leave with the group on Sunday, May 17th, and return (not with the group) on Tuesday, May 26th. Mike Hanas will take my place as the third staff member, along with Jamie and Gus. I am hoping to have access to a computer while I'm there so that I can post updates on my blog. Some of us will be working with Habitat, mixing cement and pouring floors for new homes. Others will work in an AIDS orphanage. During the brief time that Mike and I are both in Trinidad with the group, we will work for an evening with Nature Seekers, a leatherback turtle rescue organization, which was started by a Duke professor. Very exciting! After my return to CFS, I hope to be able to include updates of other End of Year experiences.
During my absence, Willy will be holding down the fort. (x-226)
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL OUR WONDERFUL CFS MOMS!!

No comments: