Friday, March 27, 2009

Surprise visit on March 27, 2009


























I know I said that you wouldn't hear from me until after spring break, but I just couldn't resist. As you may know, Jon and Susan's Capstone class started the Adopt a Box campaign for the Episcopal Farmworker Ministry in Newton Grove. This wonderful ministry, headed by Father Tony, responds to the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of migrant and seasonal farmworkers and their families. Advisee groups have been invited to adopt a box and fill it with personal and household items that are badly needed. Dylan's Building Tech class is building the boxes, which are unfinished. Susan brought lots of wonderfully bright shades of paint for advisee time today. As you can see by the photos, students had a great time painting their boxes. Brynna seems to have done a lovely job of painting her hands as well! Families are also welcome to adopt a box. The most artistic box above was painted by school parent Courtney Munroe. If you are interested in adopting a box, please contact Susan at skincaid@cfsnc.org.
I also included a photo of four of the books in the Jacky Faber adventure stories by E.L. Meyer. A few weeks ago, I was in need of some light reading. I shared with some students that I couldn't decide between starting the Harry Potter books from the beginning or delving into the Twighlight series. Sarah and Julia grabbed my arm and steered me to the Fiction section of the library and pointed to the Jacky Faber books. "You will LOVE these books!" So, I decided to try book #1, Bloody Jack. I am now in book #4, In the Belly of the Bloodhound, and I can't put them down. Jacky is smart, adventurous, funny, loving, loyal, and resourceful. I couldn't help but fall in love with her. Never let it be said that we don't learn from our students. I learn from them every day.
Have a great week!

No comments: